What's Poppin' in Pop Culture

Your source for all things Pop Culture!

Friday, August 20, 2010

As Teen Hearing Loss Rises, Academic Performance Falters While Music Sales Soar?


Kimberly Cheng, a reporter for the news channel, KPSP Channel 2 News, just posted a completely bogus news story linking MINOR teenage hearing loss to poor academic performance. In her article, she claims that research conducted by Time proves that teenage hearing loss has been linked to slowing language development, lack of self esteem, and overall poor academic performance.

Once again, the blame for increasing hearing loss is no other than the music teens listen to.

As someone who has had a SIGNIFICANT hearing loss their entire life, I completely disagree with this story. I have lost over half of my hearing ability. In some high frequency sounds, I am completely death. I can not hear the difference between the words "shoes" and "choose", and so I pronounce them the same way.

My hearing disability has never really affected my academic performance. I graduated in the top 15% of my high school class with honors and a member of National Honor Society. I then completed my first two years of college at Gloucester County College, where I maintained a 4.0 average for much of time there. I graduated with honors, on time, and although help from student services was offered (such as note takers and translators), I never accepted it. I did all of my work on my own.

I am now transferring to Rowan University. I am double majoring in English and Journalism with a concentration in Creative Writing. If my language skills were so poor, wouldn't I have opted for a different major? I mean, clearly hearing impaired students can't read or write well.

Oh, and what do I do when I'm not in school? I definitely don't just sit around and cry myself to sleep because of my lack of self esteem. One of my favorite hobbies is GASP! listening to music! In fact, I am listening to Katy Perry's "California Gurls", as I write this. I am constantly playing music on my computer, radio, or really anywheres. I love to see my favorite musicians perform live. So far I have seen Britney Spears, O-town, Michelle Branch, American Idol 2 (season that had Clay Aiken...), American Idol 4 (season that had Carrie Underwood), American Idol 6 (season that had Jordin Sparks), Teddy Geiger, Tinted Windows, Cooper, No Doubt, Good Charlotte, Forever the Sickest Kids, Simple Plan, and several of my friends bands. I plan on seeing many more shows in the very near future. Clearly I am hearing impaired because of my love of music, not because of genetics or anything like that, despite what dozens of medical tests have proven...


OK, I think I'm done with this little rant of mine. I might just drop a line to this News Source though. Maybe they would like to hear my side of this story.

Thoughts?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I know this post is old - but, had to comment. My son is 15 - He has moderate hearing loss... and he is doing very well in high school... and loves music. Plays cello, guitar, and has his IPOD going 24/7... =)

May 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

That's awesome! I hate when people just assume that because you're hearing impaired you can't listen to music or do well in school. I also constantly have my i-pod on and still do well in school. I will be graduating with two bachelor's degrees in Decemeber. :)

May 31, 2012 at 4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Custom Search
$value) { if ($param == 'client') { google_append_url($google_ad_url, $param, 'ca-mb-' . $GLOBALS['google'][$param]); } else if (strpos($param, 'color_') === 0) { google_append_color($google_ad_url, $param); } else if (strpos($param, 'url') === 0) { $google_scheme = ($GLOBALS['google']['https'] == 'on') ? 'https://' : 'http://'; google_append_url($google_ad_url, $param, $google_scheme . $GLOBALS['google'][$param]); } else { google_append_globals($google_ad_url, $param); } } return $google_ad_url; } $google_ad_handle = @fopen(google_get_ad_url(), 'r'); if ($google_ad_handle) { while (!feof($google_ad_handle)) { echo fread($google_ad_handle, 8192); } fclose($google_ad_handle); } ?>